The Monastery of Saint George in Karydi is located about 2km east of Vamos village in Apokoronas.
The monastery got its name from the settlement which existed at the site around 1600, abundant with walnut trees.
After being abandoned for many years, it finally was restored in 1996 and has been operating normally ever since.
When the Venetians were in Crete there was a settlement of a Venetian nobleman at the site. Beside his house there was the mill, an oil factory of the time.
Later, when the Turks conquered Crete, the strategic position of the monastery, on a passage which joined Sfakia and Vamos was of high importance. There were about 10 Greek Orthodox families here. The Turks forced them to either convert or to abandon their village.
Four families became Muslims to such extent that actually asked the Turks to destroy the small church of St. George the ruins of which are visible today. But the Turks hardly demolished churches and thus, chose to impose taxes at the priest of the church so as to eventually make him abandon it. The priest, however, struggling to find the money, addressed to the Monastery of Agia Triada of Tzagarolon which fortunately could afford to pay the taxes, hence the monastery was saved. The priest gratefully donated the church and its small fortune to the Monastery of the Holy Trinity.
And thus, the priests of the monastery of the Holy Trinity built the church of St. George in 1850 or 1880 and began to close the site in order to achieve dependency. They purchased the properties of the Muslim inhabitants and gradually it became an important place of work.
The first license given in Crete in order to build an olive oil factory was that for the specific site, dating back in 1829.
Of course there are many ecxellent villas in the beautiful beachfront Almyrida/ Apokoronas area.